Reading the Bible One Prayer at a Time
PRAYERS OF THE BIBLE
One way to read the Bible is to start at the beginning and read to the end. But there are other ways to read it as well.
The Bible is filled with true stories about real people. Many of the stories include God’s words to his people. And many of them include the people’s words to God. We can learn many things from these prayers. In fact, these prayers do not only teach us about God. They also give us words to use when we pray.
Read One PRAYER EVERY DAY
Here are 30 prayers from the Old Testament section of the Bible. There are prayers for help, prayers of thanks, and prayers of regret. Read one of these prayers each day for 30 days. You will be surprised at how much you can learn just by reading a few short verses. The verses show you how people prayed. They will tell you things about God. They will tell you how God’s people spoke to him in times of need. They will show you how the people thanked God when he blessed them.
After you read one of these prayers, take time to think about it. What did you learn about God? What did you learn about people? What did you learn about prayer? Think about those things. Then, you may want to talk to someone else about what you learned.
Do not be surprised if you do not understand some things you read. But you will understand more and more the longer you read. And, when you read these prayers, you can also learn how to pray.
30 Prayers of the Bible
1. Abraham prays for a child.
2. Jacob prays for rescue.
3. Moses prays that God will go with him.
4. Moses prays for help.
5. Moses prays for God to spare Israel.
6. Joshua cries out to God.
7. Manoah prays for help.
8. Samson prays for one last victory.
9. Hannah prays for a son.
1 Samuel 1:11
10. Hannah gives thanks.
1 Samuel 2:1-10
11. David prays that God will keep his promise.
2 Samuel 7:18-29
12. David prays for forgiveness.
2 Samuel 24:10
13. Solomon blesses the Temple.
1 Kings 8:23-53
14. Elijah prays for fire from heaven.
1 Kings 18:36-37
15. David prays for Solomon and Israel.
1 Chronicles 29:10-19
16. Jehoshaphat prays for victory.
2 Chronicles 20:6-12
17. Ezra prays for help.
18. Nehemiah prays and confesses sin.
19. Israel confesses.
20. Job gives thanks.
21. Job asks God for relief.
22. Job repents.
23. Hezekiah prays for rescue.
24. Jeremiah questions God.
25. Jeremiah prays for Judah.
26. Jeremiah prays for mercy.
27. Ezekiel pleads with God.
Ezekiel 9:8-9; 11:13-20
28. Daniel prays that God will keep his word.
29. Jonah prays to be saved.
30. Habakkuk prays for his people.